Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Four Food Groups

This is my version of the four food groups: Italian, Thai, Mexican, and Japanese.

Italian: Spindini
Spindini is in downtown Memphis (on South Main) but when you walk in you feel like you're in downtown Chicago or Manhattan.  The restaurant is small, loud, and has a modern feel to the decor.  I always get the Tuscan butter as an appetizer and the eggplant rollatini for the entree.  I may be a vegetarian, but the Tuscan butter is an app for anyone.  Its essentially cheese, butter, and oil spread on bread.  Pure fat.  And the eggplant is deep fried with the delicious red sauce.  Perfect.  They also make a great martini if you feel like just popping in for a drink at the bar to enjoy the atmosphere, you are guaranteed to see someone you know or recognize.
spindinimemphis.com

Thai: Bhan Thai
I've really only been to this midtown restaurant a few times.  Thai food for me is "order in on a Sunday night and eat on your couch" food.  And Bhan Thai does it the best.  I get the Pad See-U.  You can get it with chicken, shrimp, or beef.  I get it with extra vegetables.  This dish has just the right amount of spice and the rice noodles are perfect.  Cole and I usually each order a entree and the total bill is around $30, pretty expensive for carry-out, but I always have enough left over for lunch on Monday.
www.bhanthairestaurant.com

Mexican: Happy Mexican
If were talking about the Mexican place I go to the most, it is definitely Chipotle, I'm obsessed.  But as far as a locally owned restaurant, I have to go with Happy Mexican.  I go to the one downtown.  The food is cheap and delicious and the margaritas are good.  Beware, if you go on a Friday or Saturday night, it will be wild: we have to have a private security guard at the door wild.  And they may ask for your credit card before your meal, I presume because they've been burned by people walking out on their check.  I love to go on a sunny summer afternoon to sit on the patio and have a few cervezas and get really full.  You can get a beer, margarita, or burrito as big as your head.
happymexican.com/

Japanese: Pacific Rim
Because I tend to stay downtown, I go to Blue Fin way more frequently, but Sekisui Pacific Rim is my favorite place to go.  Like most sushi restaurants, both have the up beat modern vibe.  SPR just seems to have more options and creativity when it comes to sushi rolls.  I love the BB.  I'm not quite sure what it is, other than its tempura something with cream cheese and a sweet soy sauce.  So good.  They are also creative with the martinis, with a million options that all taste like desert.
www.sekisuiusa.com/web/spr-memphis

Now of course there is a fifth food group: pizza.  But that deserves a dedicated blog post all to itself.  Stay tuned.

1 comment: